TX - Nurdle Patrol Racks up the Surveys in February. There Sure is a lot of Plastic in our Waters
There were 323 surveys performed in February 2021 a total of 7,584 surveys that Nurdle Patrol has performed since November 2018. A total of 3,598 different sites have been surveyed. Feel free to browse all the data on the map at www.NurdlePatrol.org.
Some key takeaways for February Nurdle Patrol data:
- We are hosting a Nurdle Survey Challenge each month through June 2021! Congrats to the Saint Stanislaus High School in Mississippi for winning the prize in February for conducting 87 surveys! Here's more about the challenge and the prizes!
- We added 5 new partners in February to Nurdle Patrol's efforts, for a total of 112 partners helping to move the effort forward. New webpage coming soon with list of partner logos!
- 9,517 nurdles removed from the beaches, riverbanks, and lake shorelines in the month of February for a total of 1,527,584 nurdles removed to date by Nurdle Patrollers.
- Over 2,700 volunteers have conducted surveys.
- Facebook page Nurdle Patrol now has around 2,500 followers.
- We still have more Nurdle Patrol citizen science kits available, so email me if you are part of an organization that would like to incorporate nurdle surveys into existing program or start up their own citizen science project.
- We created a Nurdle Teacher Kit, if you are a teacher and want curriculum with hands on jars of nurdles and other goodies, please read the article and fill out the google form at the end of the article. We've put together and mailed these out to around 200 teachers in the month of February. We are still packaging some of these up due to demand, so be patient :). These kits are FREE thanks to the Matagorda Bay Mitigation Trust.
- I'm currently at the Texas Plastic Pollution Symposium to be held in South Padre Island, Texas on March 4 and 5, 2021. Diane Wilson was the invited speaker and was amazing! Today we are conducting a beach cleanup and workshops all day. If you didn't make the Zoom or in person meeting, we will post the video once available to the Mission-Aransas Reserve YouTube Channel, plus we will be creating a new website for the annual meeting. Thanks to all the organizations and volunteers that made this a successful symposium!
- In February we put up billboards across the state of Texas in underserved communities near plastic manufacturing sites with the saying "Help fight plastic pollution" and the logo of NurdlePatrol.org. These billboards will be up through at least May 2021 with the hopes of reaching folks in communities that want to make a change and trying to connect with them to help make that change.
Would you like to become a partner? Email me and let’s discuss how you would like to get involved.
Thanks again for everything!