2019 TOP 10 BEACHES: THIS YEAR’S WINNER IS KAILUA BEACH PARK
Kailua Beach Park is number one in the 29th annual Top 10 Beach List, produced by coastal expert Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman, professor at Florida International University.
As “Dr. Beach” (www.DrBeach.org), Leatherman has selected the annual Top 10 Beaches since 1991. Fifty criteria are used to evaluate beaches, which include water and sand quality as well as safety and management. Dr. Leatherman is an internationally known coastal scientist who has published 20 books and hundreds of scientific articles and reports about storm impacts, coastal erosion and ways to improve beach health and safety.
Bonus points are awarded for prohibition of smoking on beaches, and Oahu, Hawaii is leading the way by keeping their beaches clear of cigarette butts. Previous National Winners are retired and listed on my web site.
KAILUA BEACH PARK
Kailua Beach Park is a beautiful white sand coral beach with generally small waves, making it great for swimming and kayaking. A very popular activity is to paddle a kayak to the nearby picturesque offshore islands; the larger one has a nice sandy beach. Kailua Beach Park has lifeguards on duty, free parking, bathrooms, beach showers, picnic tables, volleyball courts and kayak rentals among other amenities. It is only minutes away from the village of Kailua where there are good restaurants, or you can pick up plate lunches and drinks for the beach.
FULL LIST OF TOP 10 BEACHES IS BELOW
- 10. Beachwalker Park Kiawah Island, South Carolina
- 9. Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
- 8. Hapuna Beach State Park, Big Island, Hawaii
- 7. Caladesi Island State Park , Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
- 6. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- 5. Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
- 4. Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
- 3. Grayton Beach State Park. Florida panhandle
- 2. Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
- Ka’ihekauila by Floyd Manzano under Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/deed.en)
TOP 10 BEACHES 2019
PAST NATIONAL WINNERS
2016: Hanauma Bay, Oahu Hawaii